The DJSI 2018 results were released today (13/09/2018). The DJSI, or Dow Jones Sustainability Index, is a stock exchanges index, which includes Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) criteria into the ranking.
DJSI 2018 Process: increased participation
In March 2018, a total of 3,504 companies was invited to take part in the Corporate Sustainability Assessment or CSA, which serves as a basis to proceed to the ranking.
How does such questionnaire work?
- It is customized for 60 industries,
- It is structured around dimensions: Economic, Environment and Social.
- The questions are weighted. You can read the methodology for an overview on the weighting rules
In total, 993 companies filled out such questionnaires, out of 2,094 analyzed companies. It means that some 1,101 assessments were based exclusively on public information. The number of completed questionnaires in 2017 was 942, representing an increase of 5% from 2017 to 2018.
Then, companies were selected based on various rules:
- Their score needs to be at least 40% of the highest scores within the respective index universe
- Only the 10% best companies are chosen for DJSI World.
- The error margin is taken into account.
- There is also a buffer rule (Select existing components if they are within the top 15% of their industry for DJSI World)
DJSI 2018 Results: 17 German companies in DJSI World
In order to check the composition of DJSI 2018, you need to consult this page here.
The DJSI Family comprises the following indices:
- DJSI World
- DJSI Europe
- DJSI North America
- DJSI Asia Pacific
- DJSI Emerging Markets
- DJSI Korea
- DJSI Australia
- DJSI Chile
- DJSI Mila
The industry leaders list is available here. A review presentation can help you gain more insight into this year composition.
Regarding German companies, here how they compared in the Industry Group Leaders from 2017 to 2018:
- Allianz SE and METRO AG are again part of the industry group leaders, respectively for Insurance and Food and Staples Retailing,
- New compared to 2017: Siemens AG for Industrial Conglomerates, SAP SE for Software and Adidas for Textiles, Apparel and Luxury Goods
- Of note, Henkel AG & Co is not part of the Industry Group Leaders for 2018
Regarding the DJSI World Composition, here how the German companies fare for 2018:
- Are part of the DJSI World: BMW AG, Siemens AG, adidas AG, HUGO BOSS AG, Deutsche Bank AG, Deutsche Börse AG, METRO AG, Allianz SE, Muenchener Rueckversicherungs-Gesellschaft AG in Muenchen (MunichRe), Evonik Industries AG, LANXESS AG, Linde AG, Infineon Technologies AG, SAP SE, Deutsche Telekom AG, Deutsche Post AG
- Were added: HOCHTIEF AG
- Were removed: Bayer AG; BASF SE
DJSI 2018 More resources
If you want to improve your answers and scoring for next year, DFGE suggests to learn more about the methodology and the DJSI. Of note, the assessment usually opens end of March until end of May, so September is the perfect timing to prepare an improvement plan to tackle the required remaining gaps before the next deadline.
Below is a list of additional resources:
DJSI Review Page
Blog post on the questionnaire
DFGE Support for DJSI
Contact us for any question at .
Good luck for the next reporting season !