The DJSI 2019 results were released last Friday (13/09/2019). The DJSI, or Dow Jones Sustainability Index, is a stock exchange index, which includes Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) criteria into the ranking.
DJSI 2019: Participation keeps increasing
In March 2019, a total of 3,519 companies were invited to take part in the Corporate Sustainability Assessment or CSA, which serves as a basis to proceed to the ranking.
How does such questionnaire work?
- It is customized for 61 industries
- It is structured around an Economic, Environment and Social dimension
- The questions are weighted depending on the industry you are in (Please read the methodology for an overview of the weighting rules)
In total, 1,116 companies filled out the questionnaire, out of 2,296 analyzed companies. Thus some 1,180 assessments were based exclusively on public information. The number of completed questionnaires in 2018 was 993, which represents an increase of 5% from 2018 to 2019.
Thereafter, companies were selected based on various rules:
- Their score needs to be at least 40% of the highest scores within the respective index universe
- Only the 10% best companies are chosen for DJSI World (20% for World Enlarged/regional indices, 30% for country indices, 10% for Emerging Markets)
- An error margin is taken into account
- There is also a buffer rule (Select existing components if they are within the top 15% of their industry for DJSI World)
DJSI 2019 Results: 14 German companies in DJSI World
In order to check the composition of DJSI 2019, you need to consult this page here.
The DJSI Family comprises the following indices:
- DJSI World
- DJSI Europe
- DJSI North America
- DJSI Asia Pacific
- DJSI Emerging Markets
- DJSI Korea
- DJSI Australia
- DJSI Chile
- DJSI Mila
Here’s how German companies performance in the Industry Group Leaders ranking changed between 2018 and 2019:
- Allianz SE (Insurance) and SAP SE (Software) are the only remainders in this year’s Industry Group Leader ranking,
- Metro AG, Siemens AG, adidas AG didn’t make it onto the leaderboard of the Industry Group Leaders for 2019
Regarding the DJSI World Composition, here’s how the German companies performed in 2019:
- Part of the DJSI World: BMW AG, Siemens AG, adidas AG, Deutsche Börse AG, METRO AG, Allianz SE, Muenchener Rueckversicherungs-Gesellschaft AG in München (MunichRe), Evonik Industries AG, LANXESS AG, SAP SE, Deutsche Telekom AG, Deutsche Post AG, HOCHTIEF AG
- Were added: Fresenius SE & Co KGaA
- Were removed: Linde AG, Infineon Technologies AG, HUGO BOSS AG, Deutsche Bank AG
DJSI 2019: More resources and support
Do you want to improve your answers and scoring for next year? DFGE suggests learning more about the methodology and the DJSI. Important note: The assessment usually opens end of March until end of May; hence September is the perfect timing to prepare an improvement plan to tackle the required remaining gaps before the next deadline.
DFGE is the perfect partner to accompany you during this process: Over 20 years of experience in multiple different sustainability standards and our principle of Sustainability Intelligence can help you achieving better results and an overall better performance. Find more information about our solutions under http://dfge.de/en/csr-ratings-rankings/.
If you are interested in learning more about how we can support you, contact us via email@example.com or call in under 08192-99733-20.
Dow Jones Sustainability Indices Results 2019: https://assessments.robecosam.com/documents/DJSI_ReviewPresentation_Results.pdf
Dow Jones Sustainability Indices components: https://www.robecosam.com/csa/csa-resources/dow-jones-sustainability-indices-components.html
Dow Jones Sustainability Europe Index: https://assessments.robecosam.com/documents/DJSI_Components_Europe.pdf